I Heard it Through the Grapevine!
Don’t let their small size fool you. Organic raisins are a rich source of iron, potassium, copper and B complex vitamins and offer a wide range of health benefits. Regular consumption of raisins help to lower cholesterol as well as triglyceride levels and improve the overall health of your heart.
Growing up, I never liked raisins. I did not like them plain, in cereals, in cookies or in a box or with a fox; you get the point. This summer, I came across an article on the benefits of raisins and decided to train or retrain myself to like them, and am very happy I did. In about two weeks, I was able to appreciate raisins and began to consume them daily. Let’s take a closer look at some of the amazing benefits these tiny gems hold:
- Digestion – daily intake helps regulate as fibres remove toxins from gastrointestinal tract.
- Dense Source of Minerals – calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium copper, potassium and zinc.
- Packed with Phenol – an antioxidant that prevents the free radicals from damaging the skin cells, collagen and elastin. Skin care from the inside out!
- Phenolic Phytochemicals – known for their germicidal, antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
- Protect your Peepers – significant amounts of beta carotene, vitamin A and carotenoids help to keep your eyes sharp!
- Hypertenstion – rich in iron, potassium, antioxidants and B complex vitamins helps to maintain a normal blood pressure.
- **Oral Health – rich in calcium and the oleanolic acid and protects from tooth decay, cavities and brittleness. Through my research for this blog post, I have come across contradictory information supporting both sides. I will continue to research and hopefully update in the future upon my findings. I would love to hear from anyone in regards to this in the comments below.
Organic raisins and other dried fruits are amazing and convenient! They are a great snack alternative and can also help curb sugar cravings with their sweetness. As we come to the close of summer and approach fall and winter, dried fruits are a great way to continue to implement the vitamins and minerals we absorb through consuming fresh fruits.